Shirné Grobler obtained both her BComm (Law) and LLB degrees from the University of Stellenbosch. She is an admitted Attorney, Notary Public and Conveyancer and an attorney with right of appearance in the High Court of South Africa. She works in STBB’s Cape Town litigation department as a Director, specializing in Family and Divorce Law, deceased estate litigation and general litigation.

Thought of the Week | What’s in a name?

In terms of the Births and Deaths Registrations Act, no person may assume or describe themselves under any surname other than that recorded in the population register or under which such person obtained permanent residence in South Africa.

For practical reasons, fortunately:

(a) a woman may assume the surname of her husband after marriage;
(b) a married or divorced woman or widow may revert to her maiden surname or any prior surname which she legally had;
(c) a woman, married or divorced, may also join to her married surname any prior surname she had at any time to form a double-barrel surname.

One may amend your surname by making application to the Director General in the prescribed form and show good cause for the change of surname and thereafter, once approved, have such change published in the Government Gazette.

Contact STBB for assistance.

For the best legal advice and personalised service, let's talk
Subscribe to our monthly newsletters, subscribe