Hein is a practising Attorney and Conveyancer based at the Helderberg branch of STBB, having first spent time in our Noordhoek and Cape Town branches. He was born in Port Elizabeth and studied at the University of Port Elizabeth (UPE). Hein obtained his B.Juris degree in 1998 and completed his LL.B degree in 2000. He was admitted as an Attorney and Conveyancer in 2002.  As a conveyancer, Hein manages transfers, property developments, mortgage bonds and sectional title related matters. He is also involved in the training of estate agents, mortgage originators and bank employees and frequently conducts Legal Updates.

Thought of the Week | Noisy neighbours! What are your rights?

Everyone has the right to the undisturbed use and enjoyment of their own property as long as they comply with relevant legislation. However, with homes being built closer to each other in recent years, it has become increasingly challenging to balance the rights of all parties.

The Environment Conservation Act and municipal Noise Control Regulations distinguish between two illegal noise activities:

1. a “disturbing noise” which is a scientifically measured noise (in decibels); and

2. a “noise nuisance” which is a noise that subjectively disturbs or impairs one’s convenience or peace.

Should you and your neighbour be unable to amicably settle your noise dispute, you may lodge a complaint with your Local Authority who are authorised to send out a Noise Control Unit to investigate; alternatively you can apply to court for an interdict or claim damages suffered.

For assistance, contact us at info@stbb.co.za

For the best legal advice and personalised service, let's talk
Subscribe to our monthly newsletters, subscribe