Lisa Mace is a Senior Associate Attorney, Notary and Conveyancer at STBB's Noordhoek branch. After completing her LLB degree at Stellenbosch University, Lisa joined STBB in January 2013 and was thereafter admitted as an Attorney, Notary and Conveyancer in 2015. Whilst most of her work is in Real Estate Conveyancing and Property Law, Lisa also attends to Antenuptial Contracts and general notarial work. Lisa focusses on providing a boutique, relationship-based conveyancing service in line with STBB's 'Big Small Firm' ethos. Outside of the office, you may bump into Lisa in the ocean or on one of the many mountain trails in the Southern Peninsula.

Thought of the Week | Renovating your home? A Certificate of Occupancy is crucial

What is required after your building plans were approved?

Once your local municipality has approved the building plans and you have completed the renovation, alteration, addition or extension to your home in accordance with such building plans in the required timeframe, it is imperative that you, or your project manager, make contact in writing with the municipality, to request the issue of a Certificate of Occupancy. The Certificate of Occupancy is signed off by the municipal Building Inspector, once he/she has visited your property and confirmed that you have built in accordance with the approved building plans, that any conditions of approval, imposed by the municipality, have been complied with and that the required compliance certificates have been issued.

If you deviated from the approved building plan, the Building Inspector may request that a deviation plan is drafted, submitted and approved before the Certificate of Occupancy will be issued.

Obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy is crucial because a building may only be formally occupied after such Certificate has been issued. Once issued, remember to keep your Certificate of Occupancy in a safe place in case it is needed again when selling or mortgaging your property.

For the best legal advice and personalised service, let's talk
Subscribe to our montly newsletters, Subscribe