Thought of the Week | Easy way to evict a tenant?

Many landlords and tenants make use of the Rental Housing Tribunal to resolve disputes that arise during the course of a lease. In the Tribunal, parties represent themselves and if legal guidance is needed, a party will consult with his attorney beforehand for advice as to his rights in the matter and the Tribunal’s procedure.

However, the Tribunal may not give an order evicting a tenant. A landlord seeking eviction must therefore approach a Magistrate or High Court and would need the services of an attorney.

The attorney and landlord will follow the procedures of the Prevention of Illegal Eviction and Unlawful Occupation of Land Act (PIE), these being designed to provide procedural protection to a tenant before eviction.

Speak to STBB for assistance in any issue relating to your lease agreement.

For the best legal advice and personalised service, let's talk
Subscribe to our monthly newsletters, subscribe