Annetjie Coetsee is a practising Attorney, Notary Public and Conveyancer, operating from both the Cape Town and Helderberg branches of STBB. Her responsibilities include: Director of STBB, branch head of Somerset West office, Executive member and head of the Development Law Unit. The specialized Development Law Unit has nine specialists addressing development requirements in the fields of planning law, environmental law, construction law, renewable energy law and, very importantly, local government law. She is a practicing Conveyancer (dealing with a conglomerate of property related matters such as sectional titles, developments, bonds, transfers and municipal work for local councils). Although she specialises in conveyancing she is a family law attorney, with a special interest in the constitutional law aspects regarding children’s rights. She is part of the marketing department and takes care of the brand development on a national level. Annetjie is further responsible for compliance and reporting initiatives. She is involved with substantial research activities relating to the property market and property investment and communicates interesting and relevant facts to her clients and the media, conducts Legal Updates for banks and estate agents. Her knowledge and insurmountable experience in the property market and connections with key roleplayers in the property industry makes her an invaluable ally to any property investor.

From the desk of Annetjie | Solar Panels: Compliance Certificates Required?

The Electrical Installation Regulations obliges every user or lessor of an electrical installation to be in possession of a valid Certificate of Compliance for that installation. Does this include solar panels?

The definition of ‘electrical installation’ in the regulations is such to generally include solar panel control circuits. A Certificate of Compliance is therefore necessary where a home with such an installation is transferred unless there is an existing certificate in place that is not older than 2 years. Ideally this should be provided for in the sale agreement.

Note further that certain municipalities, specifically the City of Cape Town, have additional requirements if the installation is attached to its grid.

For the best legal advice and personalised service, let's talk
Subscribe to our monthly newsletters, subscribe