Lisa Mace is a Senior Associate Attorney, Notary and Conveyancer at STBB and is based at the Fish Hoek office. After completing her LLB degree at Stellenbosch University, Lisa joined STBB in 2013 and was thereafter admitted as an Attorney, Notary and Conveyancer. Whilst most of her work is in Retail conveyancing and Property Law she also attends to Antenuptial Contracts, Notarial Contracts and assists in the Development Department.


What is required after your building plans were approved?

Once your local municipality has approved the building plans and you have completed the renovation, alteration, addition or extension to your home in accordance with such plans in the required timeframe, it is imperative that you, or your project manager, make contact in writing with the municipality, in order to request the issue of a Certificate of Occupancy. The Occupancy Certificate is signed off by the municipal Building Inspector, once he/she has visited your property and confirmed that you have built in accordance with the approved plans, that any conditions of approval, imposed by the municipality, have been complied with and that the required compliance certificates have been issued.

If you deviated from the approved building plan, the Building Inspector may request that a deviation plan is drafted, submitted and approved before the Occupancy Certificate will be issued.

Obtaining an Occupancy Certificate is crucial because a building may only be formally occupied after the Occupancy Certificate has been issued. Once issued, remember to keep your Occupancy Certificate in a safe place in case it is needed again when selling or mortgaging your property.